North Park is one of Victoria’s oldest residential neighbourhoods, and maintains its historical character of a diverse mixed-use community, bounded by Bay, Blanshard, Cook, and Pandora Streets. This is Victoria’s second smallest neighbourhood, after Harris Green, at one square kilometre or about 18 blocks. It is primarily a residential community, grounded by businesses, recreational facilities, and religious landmarks.
The southern portion of the neighbourhood was built on Suburban Five-Acre lots, developed early; this area eventually became the business core of the neighbourhood. They were created as part of the HBC’s early town plans. These lots were not intended to be subdivided for residential use; however their proximity to the townsite contributed to their subdivision within a short period of time. The Colonist advertised lot sales as early as 1864, and by 1872 only four of the 20 five-acre lots remained, while the rest had been subdivided into many small lots. Fire insurance maps from 1885 indicate the area had been developed fairly extensively. In 1890 the electric streetcar line was brought into the area and this accelerated development. (source: http://www.victoriaheritagefoundation.ca/)